WHAT are Chatbots?
- A service that is powered by Rule(s) or Artificial Intelligence (AI) and lives within a Chat Interface (a.k.a. Messenger Platform). A Chatbot could vary from being Fun .to. Functional.
- Here are some examples of a Chat Interface (Facebook Messenger, Slack, Telegram, Text Messages, GroupMe, Kik, Skype, WebChat, etc.) and Chatbot (Poncho, Weatherbot, etc.).
- You might already know this – we spend 90% of our time on mobile devices on (emails, messenger platforms, games, etc.).
- Transition from Apps to Messenger platforms are happening right in front of us. Communication and Commerce will inevitably happen in Messenger platforms via Chatbots.
Examples of Chatbots!
- Weather bot – forecast weather hourly, daily, weekly.
- Grocery bot – order, shop, deliver groceries on-demand.
- News bot – share the latest interesting news.
- Life Advice bot – provide solutions to problems posed.
- Personal Finance bot – assist manage my money.
- Scheduling bot – help schedule meetings.
- Friend bot – talk to a bot that is your friend.
- So, why care about Chatbots …a simple text based services.
- The fact of the matter is …people everywhere are using Messenger apps more than Social networks.
- Consider this a tipping point …Messenger apps are becoming platforms of the future (e.g. WeChat is already leading in this space).
- Chatbots will be the means by which customers will consume service and businesses will conduct commerce (e.g. WeChat again).
To build a strong and successful online business, we have to service our customers where they hangout the most …which is currently inside a Chat Interface or Messenger Platform.
- Rich User Interface (RUI) .to. No User Interface (NUI) .or. Enough User Interface (EUI)
- Macro services .to. Micro services
- Online Payment channels .to. Offline Payment channels
- Native apps .to. Chatbots …seeds Conversational Economy …enables OmniService and OmniCommerce
Recent Past Re-Plays
- Decades ago ‘websites’ were new, several businesses were experimenting.
- Years ago ‘mobile apps’ were fresh, several consumers gave it a go.
- Now builidng an app company is considered ‘not cool’.
- Chatbots for businesses is the new IP address.
- Micro-services might widen consumers’ attention span for brands.
Chatbots : FAQ 0101
Chatbots : Types ?
- Chatbots come in two flavours today …Rules & Machine Learning
- Rules : Pre-determined and is only as smart as the designer and/or programmer.
- Machine Learning : Starts with minimal to no knowledge, but over a course of time …self-learns …as long one designs the ‘bot’ to learn how to learn.
- Chatbot that functions based on Rules:
… is very limited in its scope.
… can respond to very specific commands.
… ask / say the wrong thing, it doesn’t know what you mean.
- This bot is only as smart as it is designed &/or programmed.
‘Machine Learning’ Chatbots
- Chatbot that functions based on Machine Learning:
- This bot has an artificial brain a.k.a. artificial intelligence.
- You don’t have to be ridiculously specific when you are talking to it.
- It understands natural language, not just commands.
- This bot continuously gets smarter as it learns from conversations it has with people.
- E.g. NLP – Natural Language Processing; IBM Watson – Cognitive Learning;
- Behind the ‘simple’ vinear exists a complex mesh technology.
- Flow Optimisation
- Deep Integration
- Application Protocol Interface (API)
- Routing and Escalation
- Forget the ‘Back’ & ‘Forward’ buttons
- Begin to ‘Un Learn’ now to ‘Learn’ something new
Chatbot Purpose ?
- If you’re a brand or store, consider creating a Chatbot to help your customer with their purchasing.
- If you’re a business, you might create a Chatbot to answer support questions.
- Customers will no longer be calling 1800 or 1300 numbers.
- Businesses will be expected to service via ‘Chatbot’ services.
Build your Chatbot today !
We can help you with your Chatbot quest.
- If you are not sure ‘Why’ you need to build a Chatbot.
- If you want to have a ‘Business Edge’ by using a Chatbot.
- If you are unsure ‘Which’ Chatbot type to build.